Our projects are fun AND help the environment! All projects require adult supervision so ask a grown-up to help you out.
Bottle Cap Charm Necklace
Create a locket from items that you likely have around your home!
What You Need:
- 2 metal bottle caps (the kind that come on a glass beverage bottle)
- 1 6 to 8 inch piece of 1/2 inch wide ribbon
- 1 tiny paper circle (to fit inside 1 cap)
- red stamp pad
- white flat spray paint
- clear spray paint
- tiny photo
- thin ribbon (pink or red) about 1/16 inch wide --about a yard
- beads with large
What You Do:
- Collect bottle caps. Place them all on a flat, clean surface, close together. Spray paint them white.
- Make a heart on one bottle cap by using the red stamp pad and printing a finger print two times to make the heart shape. Spray these with clear spray to protect the fingerprints.
- Fold the 1/2" wide ribbon in half and tie in a knot. Using a glue gun, glue the ends of the ribbon inside the two bottle caps, one end on each leaving the knot right at the top of the caps so that they fit together like a clam shell and the loop of the ribbon is above the knot. This loop will be used to string the locket onto the narrow ribbon.
- Cut photos to fit the inside of the bottle cap the same as the circle of paper you will be using to let the children write a message on. On the bottom half of the "locket" glue the picture. On the top half of the "locket" glue the message. Write something easy like "I love you". Don't forget to write tiny.
- String completed locket onto long narrow ribbon. Then string beads on either side of locket.