California's Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP)
May 6, 2013
For a fifteenth consecutive year, EDCO was recognized by the State of California’s Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) through the Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) for its continued efforts to reduce waste and increase recycling. Each year, CalRecycle commends businesses for reducing landfill waste and EDCO is one of only four entities Statewide to receive this recognition for a record fifteenth consecutive year.
"This year’s WRAP winners are evidence that businesses and organizations of all sizes are achieving significant waste reduction and recycling goals, all while helping protect the environment and preserve our natural resources," CalRecycle Director Caroll Mortensen said. Collectively, this year’s WRAP winners have reported a diversion of over 2.3 million tons from landfills, of which EDCO played a significant role in assisting others as well as maximizing its own internal recycling efforts.
In addition to recycling paper, food and beverage containers, scrap metal, and other recyclable materials, EDCO promotes waste reduction and prevention by encouraging staff to make double-sided copies, limit use of disposable items, and use electronic messaging.
At EDCO, waste and recycling is our business, but it’s also our corporate policy:
- EDCO continues its philosophy of reuse by donating computers no longer in use and equipment to charitable organizations.
- EDCO has initiated a paperless communication system to reduce the need for additional paper products.
- EDCO saves pallets received from large orders and reuses them while saving packaging material to reuse when shipping is necessary.
- EDCO has modified its communication system through the use of e-mail, eliminating the amount of paper needed. Also we reuse old or used paper products for scratch paper and notes.
- EDCO’s maintenance department recycles vehicle fluids, filters and tires to ensure that the environment is not contaminated by their disposal.
Click here to learn how your company can participate in the 2012 WRAP program.